Our students made an unprecedented clean sweep of the awards in both the Undergraduate and Masters’ categories at the 2016 AIAA Region VI Student Conference at Oregon State University in April. The winners are:
- 1st: Mia Lee – "Tunable Bistability of Origami-based Mechanical Metamaterials" (Advisor: Prof. Yang, Mentor: Hiromi Yasuda)
- 2nd: Zhisong Chen – "Leaf-out Origami with Multi-Configuration Stability" (Advisor: Prof. Yang, Mentor: Hiromi Yasuda)
- 3rd: Lucas Heflin – "Baffled Tube Ram Accelerator Structural Design" (Advisor: Prof.
- 1st: Jake Boening – "Design and Experimental Investigation of a Continuously Rotating Detonation Engine Initiated by Azimuthally Sequential Sparking" (Advisors: Profs. Knowlen and Kurosaka)
- 2nd: Navid Daneshvaran – "Transient Computational Fuid Dynamic Modeling of Baffled Tube Ram Accelerator in Eulerian Frame of Reference" (Advisor: Prof. Knowlen)
- 3rd: Wei-Siang Lay – "Design of a Rail Gun System for Mitigating Disruptions in Fusion Reactors" (Advisor: Dr. Raman)
Also presenting papers were: Kendall Dale in the Undergraduate Category, Richard Grist and Jeff Glusman in the Graduate Category, and Ryan Fowler in the Team Category.
Congratulations to all of these outstanding students!