Skip to main content

About Us

A&A Quick Facts

The University of Washington’s William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics offers the only aerospace degree program in the Pacific Northwest, a region whose aerospace industry has been a major contributor to the technological development, economic vitality and the security of the United States.

Undergraduate enrollment

Undergraduate enrollment 2020-2021
180
Women
Underrepresented minorities
16%
10%
BSAAE degrees awarded 2020-21
74

Graduate enrollment

Graduate enrollment 2020-21
283
Women
Underrepresented minorities
15%
13%
MSAA degrees awarded 2020-21
51
MAE degrees awarded 2020-21
30
PhD degrees awarded 2020-21
9

Recent student achievements

  • Brooke Owens Fellowship
  • Mary Gates Research Scholarship
  • NASA Space Technology Research Fellowship
  • SAE Doctoral Engineering Fellowship
  • Air Force Research Laboratory Space Scholar
  • Multiple National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellows
  • Clean Energy Institute Graduate Fellow
  • Lemelson-MIT Student Prize
  • National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellow
  • Air Force Research Laboratory Space Scholar
  • Department of Defense SMART Scholar
  • Josephine de Karman Fellow
  • Member of First Class of UW Husky 100 
  • National Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada Fellows
  • Forbes Magazine's "30 Under 30" Awardee

Quick history

  • Boeing Wind Tunnel (now the Aerodynamics Laboratory (ADL)) built in 1917 at UW.
  • UW starts one of the first Aeronautical Engineering departments in the nation in 1929, one of seven originally established with the help of the Guggenheim Fund for the Advancement of Aeronautics.
  • Founding faculty: Fred S. Eastman,  Everett O. Eastwood, Frederick K. Kirsten, John W. Miller.
  • Kirsten Wind Tunnel built in 1936; formal testing begins in 1939 with the North American AT-6 "Texan."
  • "Astronautics" added to department name in 1961.
  • NASA grants $1.5 million in 1966 to build new Aerospace Research Laboratory (now AERB). Building dedicated in 1970.