- (206) 685-2619
- GUG 316B
- Detonation Engines
- Contributed to an eclectic mix of gas dynamics topics-- non-reactive and reactive flows-- ranging from fundamental to applied levels. Consulted many companies and served in national committees.Visiting professor at MIT and ENSMA (France).
- Non-reactive flows: noise and flutter of the aircraft fan engine at the General Electric Research Center, followed by energy separation in flows, jets, and vortex dynamics.
- Parlayed concepts from non-reactive flows into reactive flows to resolve detonation problems.
- Led a team of students and colleagues to design and successefully operate a rotating detonation engine.
- PhD California Institute of Technology
- MS University of Tokyo
- BS University of Tokyo
- 'Design and Experiments of a Continuous Rotating Detonation Engine:a Spinning Wave Generator and Modulated Fuel-Oxidizer Mixing' (with J.A. Boening, J.D. Heath, T. J. Byrd, J.V. Koch, A.T. Mattick, R.E. Breidenthal, and C. Knowlen) AIAA -2016-4966, presented at AIAA Propulsion & Energy, July 27,Salt Lake City, Utah (2016)
- 'Theoretical and Experimental Consideration of the Continuous Rotating Detonation Engine' (with C. Knowlen and J.A. Boening) AIAA-2016-4967, presented at AIAA Propulsion & Energy, July 27, Salt Lake City, Utah (2016)
- ‘Spinning detonation, cross-currents, and the Chapman-Jouguet velocity’ (with N. Tsuboi), vol. 756, pp.728-757, Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2014).
- ‘Azimuthal vorticity-gradient in the formative stages of vortex breakdown’ (with C.B. Cain, S. Srigrarom, J.D. Wimer, D. Dabiri, W.F. Johnson, J.C. Hatcher, B.R. Thompson, M.Kikuchi, K. Hirano,T.Yuge and T.Honda ), vol 569, pp.1-28, Journal of Fluid Mechanics (2006).
- ‘Interchangeability of Vortex Breakdown Types’ (with M.Kikuchi, K. Hirano,T.Yuge and H.Inoue), Experiments in Fluids., vol.34,pp.77-86,(2003).
- ‘Kidney and anti-kidney vortices in crossflow jets’ (with B.A. Haven), Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol.352, pp.27-64,(1997).
- ‘Supersonic cooling by shock-vortex interaction’ (with M.D. Fox),Journal of Fluid Mechanics 308 (10 February): 3 63 -379 (1996).
- ‘Hairpin Vortex-Induced Cross Flow Transport -the ‘Tornado Effect’ (with J.P. Hagen) Physics of Fluids A, 5(12):3167-3174 (1993).
- ‘The Influence of Vortical Structures on the Thermal Fields of Jets’ (with M.D. Fox, L. Hedges and K. Hirano), Journal of Fluid Mechanics 255 (10):447-472 (1993).
- ‘Energy Separation in a Vortex Street’ (with J.B. Gertz, J.E. Graham, J.R. Goodman, P. Sundaram, W.C. Riner, H. Kuroda and W.L. Hankey), Journal of Fluid Mechanics 178:1-29 (1987).
- ‘Acoustic Streaming in Swirling Flow and the Ranque-Hilsch Effect’, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 124:139-72 (1982).
- ‘On the Flow Field External to a Rapidly Oscillating Airfoil in a Supersonic Flow’, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 62(4):811-27 (1974).
- ‘On the Unsteady Supersonic Cascade With a Subsonic Leading Edge - An Exact First Order Theory, Part 1 and 2’ ASME Journal of Engineering for Power 95(A):13-31 (1974).
- ‘A Note on Multiple Pure Tone Noise’, Journal of Sound and Vibration 19(4):453-62 (1971).