- Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 2015
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 2014
- M.E. Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2006
- M.S. Computational Engineering, Purdue University, 2011
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Utah State University, 2004
The goal of The illimited LAB is to uncover the physical laws and mathematical principles that govern the innate dynamic functions of living structures. Drawing inspiration from the actuation mechanisms and material architectures seen in musculoskeletal systems, we are seeking to mimic biological functions to provide insights into their complex yet elegant and efficient dynamics. These insights help us establish new scientific and engineering foundations for creating living structures that go beyond the typical design objectives such as strength, stiffness and low mass, towards a new class of sentient structures capable of dynamic functions, such as actuation, sensing, thinking, self-healing, and adaptation.
- Montoya, A. et al., (2020). Quantifying Information without Entropy: Identifying Intermittent Disturbances in Dynamical Systems. Entropy, 22(11), 1199.
- Habtour, E. et al., (2019). Structural state awareness through integration of global dynamic and local material behavior. Journal of intelligent material systems and structures, 30(9), 1355-1365.
- Peele, B., et al., (2019). Untethered stretchable displays for tactile interaction. Soft robotics, 6(1), 142-149.
- Habtour, E. et al., (2018). Connecting nonlinearities: Damage precursors detection and control methodology. In 28th Int. Conference on Noise & Vibration Engineering, ISMA 2018 (pp. 3597-3605). KU Leuven.
- Haghiashtiani, G. et al., (2018). 3D printed electrically-driven soft actuators. Extreme Mechanics Letters, 21, 1-8.
- Habtour, E. et al., (2018). Phase influence of combined rotational and transverse vibrations on the structural response. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 100, 371-383.
- Aliev, A. E. et al.,(2017). Subwoofer and nanotube butterfly acoustic flame extinction. Journal of physics D: applied physics, 50(29).
Honors & awards
- Department of the Army Engineers-Scientist Exchange Program, 2017-2018
- Department of the Army Commander’s Award for Civilian Service Medal, 2017
- US Army Research Laboratory Vehicle Tech Directorate Science Award, 2016
- Department of the Army Achievement Award, 2015
- Department of the Army Achievement Award, 2014