Training: After submitting a request for tunnel time, all 3X3 users must complete the required EHS online training modules and attend on-site safety and operational training during Test Engineer Office Hours, which can be found on the 3X3 Wind Tunnel Schedule.
Tunnel Operation: Please refer to this short operation manual for a reminder of tunnel controls once your initial training is complete.
Health and Safety: All users of the tunnel must complete the following list of online EHS safety courses.
- Lock Out / Tagout
- Confined Space Awareness
- COVID-19 Safety
- Lead Awareness
- Managing Lab Chemicals
- Online Laser Safety (EHS)
Standard equipment: The following standard equipment is available for Junior design projects and Capstones. Notification must be given prior to your scheduled wind tunnel time of which equipment you desire to use.
- Analog and thermocouple measurement through National Instruments DAq
- 2 x sting-mounted, six component force/moment balance (see below for details)
- 2 x manual turntables for model manipulation about the z-axis
- Two axis (y,z) pitot traverse
- Oscilloscope (TDS 210, 60MHz, 1GS/s)
- Signal generator (GFG-8016G, GFG-8216A)
- Power supply (2x GPC-3030D)
- Scanni-valve controller for efficient measurement of pressure taps
- Pressure transducers: (Pitot - Baratron 226A, Static Taps - Omega PX653-10D5V )
- Type-K thermocouples
- Theatrical smoke visualization
- Wool tuft surface flow visualization
Sting mounted force/moment balances:
Sting 1: 0.75” Diameter - CAD Model
- Up to 200lbf normal and side force components (400lbf each total)
- Up to 50lbf axial (drag) force
- Up to 60lb-in roll moment
Sting 2: 0.5” Diameter
- Up to 100lbf normal and side force components (200lbf each total)
- Up to 55lbf axial (drag) force
- Up to 45lb-in roll moment