3’x3’ Wind Tunnel Resources for UG Students
Training: Please schedule your wind tunnel time and request a training session with Fiona Spencer for tunnel operation. You will be expected to produce proof of health and safety certification at this training session. This session will most likely occur at the beginning of your allotted wind tunnel time.
Tunnel Operation: Please refer to this short operation manual for a reminder of tunnel controls once your initial training is complete.
Health and Safety: All users of the tunnel must complete the online EHS safety courses as defined by the department. See Lab Safety Training for details.
Standard equipment: The following standard equipment is available for Junior design projects and Capstones. Notification must be given prior to your scheduled wind tunnel time of which equipment you desire to use.
- Analog and thermocouple measurement through National Instruments DAq
- 2 x sting-mounted, six component force/moment balance (see below for details)
- 2 x manual turntables for model manipulation about the z-axis
- Two axis (y,z) pitot traverse
- Oscilloscope (TDS 210, 60MHz, 1GS/s)
- Signal generator (GFG-8016G, GFG-8216A)
- Power supply (2x GPC-3030D)
- Scanni-valve controller for efficient measurement of pressure taps
- Pressure transducers: (Pitot - Baratron 226A, Static Taps - Omega PX653-10D5V )
- Type-K thermocouples
- Theatrical smoke visualization
- Wool tuft surface flow visualization
Sting mounted force/moment balances:
Sting 1: 0.75” Diameter - CAD Model
- Up to 200lbf normal and side force components (400lbf each total)
- Up to 50lbf axial (drag) force
- Up to 60lb-in roll moment
Sting 2: 0.5” Diameter
- Up to 100lbf normal and side force components (200lbf each total)
- Up to 55lbf axial (drag) force
- Up to 45lb-in roll moment