Who is eligible?
Upper Admission is for students who are currently enrolled at the UW and transfer students from other schools who have completed two or more years of college coursework. Students admitted via Upper Admission will be guaranteed to be in A&A major courses. Individuals are also encouraged to participate in departmental events and activities from day one.
To be considered for Upper Admission must have a minimum grade of 2.0 in each prerequisite course and an overall cumulative prerequisite GPA of 2.5 or higher is required. In order to apply, fourteen (14) prerequisite courses must be completed:
- MATH 124 Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (5)
- MATH 125 Calculus with Analytic Geometry II (5)
- MATH 126 Calculus with Analytic Geometry III (5)
- MATH 307 Introduction to Differential Equations (3)
- MATH 308 Matrix Algebra with Applications (3)
- CHEM 142 General Chemistry (5)
- PHYS 121 Mechanics (5)
- PHYS 122 Electromagnetism (5)
- PHYS 123 Waves (5)
- English Composition (5)
- A A 210 Engineering Statics (4)
- CEE 220 Introduction to Mechanics of Materials (4)
- M E 230 Kinematics and Dynamics (4)
- A A 260 Thermodynamics (4)
- MATH 324 Advanced Multivariable Calculus (3)*
- A MATH 301 Beginning Scientific Computing (4)*
* Please note that MATH 324 and A MATH 301 are not required to be completed in order to apply, however, at least one of these courses should be taken prior to Autumn Quarter of the Junior Year. Both these courses need to be completed by the end of Autumn Quarter of the Junior Year.
Admission is competitive and meeting minimum requirements does not guaranteed admission into the program. Upper Admission applicants must apply using the College of Engineering online application by the July 1 deadline.
What can I do to better prepare myself for Aeronautics & Astronautics?
We recommend that students make an academic plan that includes the fourteen (14) prerequisite courses required in order to apply. Although not a prerequisite, it can also be helpful to participate in an A&A student organization or A&A research. Participating in these hands-on activities can help a student explore as well as solidify whether or not Aeronautics & Astronautics is the right program for them.
I haven’t completed all the prerequisites required before the July 1 deadline. Can I still apply?
If a student has completed at least 11 out of the 14 prerequisite courses before the July 1 deadline and have the remaining in progress (i.e., you are taking them during Summer Quarter), a student can still apply. However, students who complete all 14 prerequisite courses before the deadline will receive priority. For transfer students in this situation, individuals will not be penalized if their school does not offer one or more of the prerequisite courses and need to take them over Summer Quarter.
Do I need to take A&A major courses once accepted into the program?
Typically, yes. The set of required A&A major courses are sequenced and must be taken in a particular order. The first quarter set of sequenced courses only begin in Autumn Quarter. Any student who would like to delay the start of their A&A major courses must receive written permission from the department before the quarter begins.