Aeronautics & Astronautics Strategic Plan
Build our culture to create a community that inspires and empowers us.
- Foster a caring department community where we support each member and all feel a sense of belonging
- Establish a just departmental process that honors our contributors with a holistic strategy of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Celebrate and affirm our department legacy, advances, and shared accomplishments
- Encourage a culture of openness where we protect free speech and affirm working collaboratively
- Develop a disciplined department where we accept our obligations to the group and governance norms to guide behavior for the common good
STAGE ONE ASSESSMENT ACTIVITIES
First year (2022)
- Model chosen to assess current state of our faculty and staff community and establish a future direction: Ernest Boyer's principles for community.
- Surveyed department employees (Faculty, Staff, PhD students) with an AUDiT on community culture
- Developing a multi-cultural change matrix (MCIM) focused on the principles.
To build a community that inspires and empowers, we will:
JUMP TO: Foster a caring department community Establish a just departmental process Celebrate and affirm our department legacyEncourage a culture of opennessDevelop a disciplined department
Foster a caring department community where we support each member and all feel a sense of belonging.
- Peer mentoring program for all levels
- Improve the current onboarding process for all groups (students, staff, faculty)
- Expand mentorship and ideas exchange in our community in formal and informal ways
- Develop a communications plan for timely response to community, campus, and national issues
- A clear approach to welcoming all new members to the department so that they feel supported and our values are understood and internalized
- Enhance the well-being and professional development of all members of our community (specifics will be needed)
Establish a just departmental process that honors our contributors with a holistic strategy of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- All community members engaged with annual DEI discussions
- 25-50% increase in all diversity metrics of faculty, staff, students
- Building connections between faculty and broader community (industry and community groups connected with impact)
- Grow the breadth of communities that are positively impacted by and interact with our community by supporting and rewarding efforts in this area
- Acknowledge great examples of governance and the stewardship of department improvements
- Equity in publicity/acknowledgement (break down into faculty, staff, and student considerations)
- Broader acknowledgement of diverse backgrounds and accomplishments of our community members
- Continue to increase transparency of department processes to promote fairness and understanding of resource allocation (break down into faculty, staff, and student issues)
Celebrate and affirm our department legacy, advances, and shared accomplishments.
- Grow inspirational programs: Stronger partners and ties of research to applications broader community can recognize
- Feature department history/heritage/legacy on our website and department displays
- Develop a slate of light-hearted events that celebrate our department, our work, our values and each other
- Public celebration of successes at all levels of the department
Encourage a culture of openness where we protect free speech and affirm working collaboratively.
- Internalize a process of committee/meeting guidelines for interaction - the atmosphere we want with each other, how we ensure we thrive, and how we have difficult conversations
- Set up or clarify processes by which issues that affect sections of our population can be raised and addressed, especially for those that may not feel the agency to speak up
- Use transparent, understandable and data-driven analytics to assess and improve the College’s performance and align incentives with our priorities. Align incentives with our strategic priorities and community building (COE goal)
Develop a disciplined department where we accept our obligations to the group and governance norms to guide behavior for the common good.
- All members of our department remember and internalize our values in everything we do
- Improve the interfaces between departmental groups to build understanding of everyone's role and expectations and foster empathy
- Elevate the role of RSOs within the department for both social and career development
- Elevate the experiences and sense of belonging of students in the research lab community