Co-Director of the UW Advanced Composites Center (ACC)
Aeronautics & Astronautics
Adjunct Associate Professor
Materials Science & Engineering
- (206) 543-2170
- GUG 311D
- Multiscale Analysis of Materials & Structures (MAMS) Lab
- UW Advanced Composites Center (ACC)
Marco Salviato joined the William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics in the summer of 2015. Formerly, he was a postdoctoral research scholar (2013-2014) and later a Research Assistant Professor (2014-2015) in Civil and Environmental Engineering at Northwestern University.
Prof. Salviato’s research interests are in the areas of Mechanics of Solids and Fracture Mechanics. His research focuses on understanding the mechanical behavior of materials and structures at multiple scales through the formulation of advanced computational and analytical approaches and new experimental techniques. His objective is developing computational and analytical tools to assist the design of lighter aerospace and automotive structures with improved manufacturability, damage tolerance and structural stability and integrity.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Padova, 2013
- M.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, University of Padova, 2009
- B.Sc., Mechanical Engineering, University of Padova, 2007
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Northwestern University, 2013-2014
- Research Assistant Professor, Northwestern University, 2014-2015
Honors & awards
- 2017 University of Washington A&A Best Graduate Educator Award
- 2017 ASME Haythornthwaite Young Investigator Award
- 2012 Italian Association for Strain Analysis Juniores Prize
- 2009 InTesi award
- 2020 ASC-DSTech Young Composites Researcher Award
- 2021 National Academy of Engineering U.S. Frontiers of Engineering Symposium Attendee
- 2013 Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI)
- 2013 American Society for Mechanical Engineering (ASME)
- 2016 American Society for Composites (ASC)
- 2019 Society of Engineering Science (SES)
- 2020 American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
Planning next gen composites
A&A's Marco Salviato is part of NSF IUCRC grant supporting industry partnerships to advance composites.
A&A Student Excellence Awards 2022
We are pleased to announce the 2022 cohort of students honored by our department-wide Student Excellence Awards!
NSF supports our research into why nanofoams are full of surprises
NSF supports an A&A and ME collaborative investigation of a novel new material.