To further develop Defocusing Digital Particle Image Velocimetry (DDPIV) methodology, we have derived a full three-dimensional characterization of Defocusing Digital Particle Image Velocimetry and have overcome the limitations of the single camera DDPIV system, by developing a color-coded backlighted system. Furthermore, we have extended this approach by developing a novel 3D particle tracking velocimetry (3DPTV) that identifies overlapped particles, thereby allowing for increased spatial resolution
Examples of visualizations of free surface deformation using the free surface deformation gradient technique; heated vortex ring using micro-encapsulated liquid crystal particles; and vertical sheer deformations.
This collaborative effort between UW, Kettering University, and Southern California Edison, is to study air curtains, their entrainments, and their infiltration as applied to vertical open display cases, which are commonly found in supermarket stores nationwide. The goal is to ascertain the conditions that would minimize ambient warm air infiltration into the vertical display cases, so as to minimize the energy consumption of the display cases. As vertical display cases are used nationwide, we will therefore be able to reduce the national energy burden in this area. Click image for larger view. Also see "The Matrix-Chilled" from Kettering University.
- Effects of secondary variables on infiltration rate of open refrigerated vertical display cases with single-band air curtain (2012)
- Comprehensive study on the effects of fluid dynamics of air curtain and geometry, on infiltration rate of open refrigerated cavities (2011)
- Tracer gas technique: A new approach for steady state infiltration rate measurement of open refrigerated display cases (2009)
- Experimental investigation of the effect of various parameters on the infiltration rates of single band open vertical refrigerated display cases with zero back panel flow (2009)
- Systematic Approach for Solving Large-Scale Problems by Neural Network: Open Refrigerated Display Cases and Droplet Evaporation Problems (2008)
- Past, Present, and Future Research Toward Air Curtain Performance Optimization (2005)
- The Application of Advanced Methods in Analyzing the Performance of the Air Curtain in a Refrigerated Display Case (2002)