- PO's, BPO's, P2I: Michael Domar
- Fabrication purchases: Bryan Elion
- Purchases over $100k: Rachel Reichert
- Procard reconciliation and purchasing: Michael Domar
- Travel reimbursements: Winnie Lin
Please reference A&A's Procard Cardholder Requirements for Monthly Reconciliation which was given out in hard copy in the red folders at the Faculty & Staff Retreat in September 2018.
If you need further help, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All purchases require a pre-approval from the budget authority/custodian. This must be documented in writing (email is fine) and contain relevant information including purpose, quantity, price, additional costs like shipping with concurrence and the budget number to be charged. These expenses will be reimbursed after filling out the Reimbursement Form and submitting appropriate documentation. Detailed instructions are included in the form:
- Complete the form.
- Request the PI or instructor or lab manager to provide the budget number and name. He or she will sign the form approving the reimbursement. A pre-approval email with budget number/name is acceptable.
- Purpose: Why did you buy the items? What purpose does it serve to further research or education? Not just “supplies” but “plywood to build supporting frame of A&A (class number) team project” or “portable hard drive to back up data (name research project)” and so forth.
- List purchases, description, supplier, amount.
- Attach invoices, signed/dated packing slips, and receipts. Tape cash register small receipts to a blank sheet of paper (clean side of previously used paper is OK.) Tape only the corners. Tape obliterates ink on heat-sensitive paper and it becomes unreadable. The department reserves the right to request additional documentation. Add any other documentation as appropriate to explain purchases.
- Staple the pages together and submit as a unit to the fiscal team office in GUG 317. A scanned copy may be sent via email to email@example.com but the hard copy is still required.
Reimbursements are processed via Ariba and are subject to the UW Privacy Statement.
Expenses for special guests and events
View the policy on purchases related to special guests and events, including refreshments and honoraria.
Project and task codes
Budgets and funding
Grant and contract management
Grant and Contract Management training is recommended before new faculty submit research proposals and is required within four months of receiving a first award and every three years there after. Please see the A&A departmental policy on Grant and Contract Management.
My Financial Desktop for downloadable budget reports (UW).
A&A cost share guidelines
Cost share agreements will be assessed on an individual basis in the context of strategic and potential benefits to the project, the PI, and the department. Particular attention will be paid to justification in cases of non-mandatory cost share and whether the requested support is in-kind or cash. The following general guidelines will be used.
- All cost shares requests must be accompanied by Provost request form (regardless of whether College or Provost matching is requested).
- Department portions of cost share agreements are typically drawn from projected department portion of RCR for the grant associated with the cost share.
- Department annual cost share rate agreements typically cannot exceed 50% of projected department annual cumulative portion of RCR returns for the grant except by special arrangement. Favorable arguments for exceeding 50% limits include: multi-department partnerships (most or all partners committing share portions), multi-university partnerships (most or all partners committing share portions), in-kind elements of cost-share being leveraged, matching being leveraged (e.g., RA stipend matched 1-1 between department and grant), faculty agreeing to teach certain number of MAE courses (salary is then moved to MAE and frees up GOF funds for TAs and tuition waivers), etc.
- Department cost share agreements are based on the percentage of total funds from the grant coming to the department except by special arrangement.