The William E. Boeing Department of Aeronautics & Astronautics is committed to maintaining a supportive educational and professional environment for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors.
We recognize that a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment fosters the understanding, communication, respect, and collaboration that are critical to addressing important questions as students, teachers, professionals, and members of society. To this end, we are fully committed to engaging faculty, staff, and students from all backgrounds, specifically including individuals from historically underrepresented groups in Aerospace Engineering.
Our department is therefore committed to expanding participation and establishing an inclusive, empowering and welcoming environment for all members of our community. Within this framework we:
- Practice a high standard of respectful, ethical conduct at all times;
- Apply standards and expectations equally to all members of our department;
- Recognize and defend the dignity of all of our colleagues, students, coworkers, and classmates;
- Work to remove barriers and behaviors that detract from the academic, professional, and personal well-being of all members of our community.
In pursuit of these values and goals, we support the many diversity and inclusion programs and related entities in the College of Engineering and the University. In addition to those listed under Admissions and Students these include:
- The UW Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity (OMA&D) works to increase diversity on campus and enrich the collegiate experience of all UW students, faculty and staff.
- The UW Office for Faculty Advancement ensures that the UW recruits, promotes and retains and excellent and diverse faculty.
- The UW ADVANCE Center for Institutional Change is a resource for best practices in academic leadership development, cultural change and policy transformation, and increasing the advancement and number of women in STEM fields.
- The UW President in 2015 launched a comprehensive Race & Equity Initiative.
Additional information relative to promoting diversity in our student and educational programs can be found under the Students/Admissions pages on this website.